Writer | Warner Bros | Jobs Alert | Latest Jobs 2023
When we say, “the stuff dreams are made of,” we’re not just referring to the world of wizards, dragons and superheroes, or even to the wonders of Planet Earth. Behind WBD’s vast portfolio of iconic content and beloved brands, are the storytellers bringing our characters to life, the creators bringing them to your living rooms and the dreamers creating what’s next…
From brilliant creatives, to technology trailblazers, across the globe, WBD offers career defining opportunities, thoughtfully curated benefits, and the tools to explore and grow into your best selves. Here you are supported, here you are celebrated, here you can thrive.
As Equals is a cross-platform CNN initiative dedicated to publishing challenging, engaging, human-interest or data-driven stories about gender inequality globally – stories that point to the root causes of inequality.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of covering impactful stories about gender inequality and will be responsible for reporting and producing stories on this subject across CNN’s platforms, with an emphasis on digital. The reporter will be primarily focused on substantial enterprise and investigative reporting that shape the news agenda, rather than simply reflect it. They should also be able to write analysis, explainers and solutions stories on gender inequality.
In addition to working on their own stories for the series, the successful candidate will also work collaboratively with freelancers and other CNN journalists to bring compelling and important stories from India and South, and Southeast Asia to a global audience. (As Equals reporting focuses on low and middle-income countries but spans the global if the site of wrongdoing affecting women in the South is elsewhere else.)
As Equals is financial supported by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. That grant ends on 31 December, 2024 and so this role is a fixed-term contract, working solely on this team, for the remaining duration of the funding period.
- Sources, reports and produces mainly enterprise stories on gender inequality
- Collaborates with designers, developers, video editors etc to produce world-class digital storytelling that goes far beyond written journalism
- Builds networks with gender civil society, academia and policymakers, and monitors and stays across current conversations around gender inequality in India and the rest of the region
- Takes complicated, dense or sensitive subjects and themes and reports them in a way that draws in a loyal and returning audience. Is able to uncover underreported issues of global resonance
- Contributes to discussions in the newsroom to help improve gender coverage by all teams at CNN
- Represents the series in India and Asia for the series when needed
- Is passionate about gender inequality and can show substantial previous reporting
- Is excellent at pitching, developing ideas and turning broad thoughts into sharp story ideas
- Is able to work remotely from the rest of the series team and be energized and self-motivated to do so
- Can move easily between different formats, for example: features, to analysis, or data-led interactive
- Has a deep contact book of sources related to covering gender inequality in South and Southeast Asia
- Files excellent copy and is prepared for a robust editing process
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Has a strong interest in collaborative and solutions journalism
- A good understanding of contemporary digital (and especially mobile) audiences and storytelling
- Multilingualism would be beneficial
- Understanding of journalistic standards and media law
- University/college degree not a requirement