The Gates Scholarship 2022
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) is a last-dollar scholarship for outstanding minority high school seniors from low-income families. Each year, the scholarship is given to exceptional student leaders in order to help them reach their full potential.
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance* that is not already covered by other financial aid, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the methodology used by the Scholar’s college or university.
*The cost of attendance includes tuition, fees, room and board, books, and transportation, as well as any other personal expenses.
To apply, students must be:
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
A student must also plan to enrol full-time in a four-year degree programme at a US accredited, non-profit, private or public college or university.
*Proof of tribal enrollment will be required for American Indian/Alaska Native applicants.
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)