How to Prepare Coordinate Geometry
Questions on coordinate geometry make up a significant part of the quantitative aptitude section of competitive government examinations, particularly those conducted by the Staff Selection Commission and Railway Recruitment Board. SSC CGL, SSC CHSL, SSC MTS, RRB NTPC, RRB ALP and others are a few such exams that many students strive to clear every year.
Since coordinate geometry is such a vast topic, it will be hard to cover everything in one sitting.
On that note, let’s discuss a few important topics and tips that you should pay more attention to while preparing Coordinate Geometry for any SSC or railways exam.
Important Coordinate Geometry Topics
In coordinate geometry or Euclidean geometry, the distance formula is used to calculate the distance between two points in an XY plane. This is one of the most basic concepts on which questions are asked. Learn the distance formula and practice as many questions with variations on it as possible to be able to solve any question concerning it in the exam.
After the distance formula section formula comes that helps to find the ratio in which a point divides the given line segment or to find the coordinate of the point which divides the line segment joining two points in a ratio. Questions based on either of the two variations can be asked.
Straight Line / Graphs
At least two to three questions can be asked regarding different concepts of straight line such as the equation of a straight line in Slope -intercept form, Intercept form, one-point form and two-point form as well as questions based on graphs.
Tips to Solve/ Prepare Coordinate Geometry Questions
Coordinate geometry is a tricky topic that demands practise and consistency in order to gain clarity and understanding. Let’s discuss a few tips on how to prepare the Coordinate Geometry.
- It saves a lot of time to read the question thoroughly and analyse what is actually asked in the inquiry. At times, the questions are twisted and perplexing. The best method is to read the question calmly and find out what is being asked. This will save you a lot of time and help you avoid making mistakes.
- More practise with the questions will lead to greater comprehension and clarity. After that, you can check your progress by solving prior year’s papers.
- Always try to hit a fixed number of questions so that to get a good sense of what has to be done in the question
- Stick to one book for every topic because switching books for one topic might cause a lot of confusion and leave you perplexed. SL Loney’s book is the finest one to follow.
- To save time in the exam, memorise and learn all of the relevant formulas.
- Before looking up the answer, give yourself an opportunity to grasp and solve the problem. This will help you gain confidence as well as an understanding of how to approach the challenge.
- Solve a question in a systematic manner to avoid being confused.
Importance of Coordinate Geometry in Competitive Government Exams
The quantitative aptitude part of the SSC exam includes a lot of coordinate geometry questions
- The quantitative aptitude part is created to assess SSC aspirants’ quantitative aptitude, which is a vital need for passing the exam.
- Practicing Coordinate Geometry questions might assist students to manage their time throughout the exam.
- Once a student understands the fundamentals, coordinate geometry questions are simple to solve, allowing students to do well in the quantitative aptitude part.